Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Big Dreams!!!

I watched the special last night and I was completely touched by all of these girls stories. I was in tears...it's just so amazing how strong these young woman are. They all exude a sense of eloquence and maturity. It just goes to show that when bad things happen it is very tough to move on but it is not impossible. I applaud Oprah on this major achievement and I am so happy she is utilizing her resources to touch lives. We were introduced to six girls that have had it bad in their lives so far but things are destined to change now that they have this one in a lifetime oppurtunity. They have such big dreams, that by any means neccessary are attainable with hard work and dedication, when something like this happens in someone's life you feel a sense that anything is truly possible.
I fell in love with Sade, Megan, Thando, Zodwa, Lesego, and Mahlatse...their smiles lit a light in my heart. After all they have gone through they still find reason to smile and play like little girls, but at the same time they are like little grown ups. Zodwa wants to show what "girl power" really is. Megan and Sade are sisters who lost both parents when the father shot their mother right in front of them and pulled the gun on himself. Zodwa lost her mom to AIDS, she was so close to her mom, Thando'd grandmother is her primary caretaker who cleans houses and sometimes has to borrow money just to cover her granddaughter's school fees. It touched my hear when Thando said sometimes she feels she is a burden on her grandmother, she is such a self less human being and she wants to become the president of South Africa. Lesego and Mahlatse live in the roughest areas in South Africa and are always in fear that they will be the next victims of rape, abuse and other heinous crimes.
I shed tears for these beautiful young woman not because I feel sorry for them but because with everything they have been forced to endure they are still happy and are extremely grateful for something this grand to happen to them. I wish them all luck and hopefully they will grow up to achieve all they can be and help other young women in the future. Now if that's not "girl power" I don't know what is...

No comments: